Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Dr. Ponder's Pinzón Journal Entry #2

All of this has to go with me!
The challenges of packing!

Picture the situation – limited luggage allowances, small boats, equipping a “field hospital,” a few personal items for 5 weeks. And, oh yeah, at least some camera equipment! I am beginning to think that one pair of shorts will have to do me for 5 weeks!

All of the items in this photo need to go, too - and all into the blue tub circled at the top!
 First and foremost, I am trying to pull together everything I need for the hawks. After all, my primary job in Galapagos is to keep the hawks healthy and alive. While many items are obvious, I want to be prepared for whatever I might face. Luckily, we made excellent notes during our last project there. The pictures here show the collection of supplies we have pulled together over the past few weeks. And the container I asked my tech to fit everything in. He wasn’t exactly pleased. Size and weight, however, matter as I have to be able to haul everything I need.

Nancy Pryce cuts tail sheaths for the hawks.


Nancy uses red-tailed hawk feathers to check her measurements.
One of our volunteers, Nancy Pryce, assisted with creating very valuable “tail sheaths” – these little “envelopes” will be fitted over the hawks’ tails to protect the feathers when they are in captivity.

At home, things look about the same (sorry, no pictures). My dining room has discrete piles of what “must” come, what “should” come and a “what I would like to have if I can fit it in.” I am trying to decide which category my tea bags fit in. While the small comforts of home can make your day in the field, I can’t really say they are a “must.” Camera gear, however, is a must. Exactly what I take will be very limited, but a good camera system in Galapagos is a priority. And a side benefit will be sharing pictures with you through this blog. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there. Have a safe trip to the Galapagos. I live in Toronto, Canada and earlier this week, my wife, Jean, and I came upon an adult Red-tailed Hawk in Markham, Ontario. We have read that stalking a hawk is no easy task,that you have to sneak up on them when they are looking the other way. Well, this Hawk was only looking one way when it landed, and that was right at us! Fortunately, we had our camera with us and got some good pictures and video. We have posted them for anyone interested at: http://frametoframe.ca/photo-essay-red-tailed-hawk-sighting-markham-ontario

    ReplyDelete