Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Catching Up with Past TRC Staff - Dr. Richard Jones



In 2001, Dr. Richard Jones, from Wales, completed his residency and graduate program at the College of Veterinary Medicine, with TRC co-founder Dr. Patrick Redig as his faculty advisor. Rich’s graduate work focused on the development of a surgical process to perform endoscopy-guided vasectomy in immature birds. This process is now utilized in hybrid falcons to prevent reproduction and in young male cockatiels to prevent behavior problems.

A keen and lifelong interest in bird watching and wildlife developed into a fascination with falconry and aviculture. Rich graduated from Liverpool University's School of Veterinary Science in 1995, completing his elective in avian medicine. Since his return to the UK he has been employed in avian/exotic referral practice and at Stapeley Grange RSPCA wildlife hospital prior to setting up AVS (Avian Veterinary Services) in 2010. He has lectured and published internationally on aspects of avian medicine and surgery.  Rich is also honorary veterinary surgeon to the Welsh Hawking Club and an active member of the British Falconers Club.

Rich was kind enough to send this note: "What I remember most about my time at TRC was the overwhelming kindness shown to us by the staff, volunteers and falconry community. As complete strangers we were welcomed into our new home with open arms and never wanted for anything. There are far too many very special friends to mention individually, sadly some of whom are no longer with us, but you know who you are and for all you did, we will be forever grateful.

As long as I can remember, for everything he has done for falconry, avian medicine, and conservation, Dr. Pat Redig has been a hero of mine and although that could potentially be hard to live up to, he did so........ and way, way more, and just confirmed (as if I needed persuading!) that this was indeed what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I learned so much during my residency, which I feel so grateful and  privileged to have been able to attend, and if I can ultimately achieve a tiny percentage of what TRC has done in my little corner of the UK I will be a very happy man!"

(Thanks to the avianveterinaryservices.co.uk/staff.html site for providing information for this post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment